We have had customers asking us for a recipe for these, so this is one of the two recipes we've been working on.
What are these? Scrubby Sugar Cubes are a solid "cube" of sugar scrub used to exfoliate, or slough off dry, old skin cells. Exfoliating helps to rejuvenate the skin and make it feel soft and moisturised.
This recipe used Raw Sugar, though I think I would prefer Golden Caster Sugar or Demerara with their smaller crystals. The larger the sized sugar granule, the more mixture required to coat them and allow them to adhere together.
These are fragranced with Warm Vanilla Sugar and have no added colour. They make very cute fudge like squares, though you can see I also used our Mini Mould and an Ikea Icecube Mould to make the hearts.
Instructions are given for Melting ingredients in a Microwave, but a Bain Marie or double boiler is also suitable.
- 110 - 130g Clear Melt & Pour Soap Base - diced into small chunks
- 20g Cocoa Butter - small pieces
- Up to 1 Teaspoons (5ml) Fragrance or Essential Oil Blend (which is 2.5%)
- 220 - 280g Raw Sugar (from the Kitchen Pantry) or your preferred Sugar
You'll need Teflon or Silicone baking trays, Ice Cube Trays or Soap Moulds and a pair of Latex or Vinyl Gloves
- Weigh ingredients separately and place Cocoa Butter into Pyrex Jug and melt in microwave - don't allow to boil
- Remove from heat and add Melt & Pour Soap chunks and gently heat on medium or medium low until liquid
- Now add Fragrance or Essential Oils and stir well until combined
- Put on Latex or Vinyl Gloves
- Now work quite quickly, add the sugar, using a spoon to stir initially, and then use your hands to combine into a paste
- Place into the baking tray or moulds and press FIRMLY to ensure good adherence and to force out any air
- If using a tray, cut into small squares before mixture sets
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes to set them quickly
- Unmould when set, easing carefully from the moulds
Take to the bath and shower, and use as you would a pumice stone. Do not use on the face.
We recommend you store the Cubes in a Bail Jar, Wide Neck Tub or an airtight jar to keep them fresh for ages, or if you are giving them as gifts they can also be packed into cello bags.
If using moulds for the cubes make sure you pack the mixture in REALLY firmly or they will break up on unmoulding.
If using a Tray mould for making cubes, press firmly, and slice whilst still warm with a thin bladed knife or they will crumble. If you experience crumbling, slowly remelt and add more Melt & Pour or Cocoa Butter. Allow to cool and then remove from the tray.
For a harder cube, increase the amount of Cocoa Butter.
If colouring, brown Micas work well with brown sugar, or choose a white sugar for other colours. You'll need to use Oil Soluble Colour of Choice - this can be either our Lip Colours, any of our Mica range or our Oil Soluble Natural Colourants. If choosing Brilliant Blue or Cellini, just make a trial batch to ensure the pH doesn't affect the colour. The Melt & Pour may affect some colours - just check the notes under melt and pour colours.
Fragrances that discolour may well affect the colour of the cubes, so again, make a trial batch to be sure your chosen ingredients are compatible. If uncoloured, this won't matter with brown sugar as it will enhance the foody type scent.