This Foamy scrub is very similar to the Gelati Scoop recipe, but whips up a little softer. You can still serve this scrub as a “scoop”, there are other container suggestions at the end of the tutorial.
What you'll need
A medium to large sized microwavable bowl or jug
Spatulas, spoons etc
Electric beater (whisk) either free standing or hand held
Note: The quantity of sugar is going to vary slightly depending on whether you like a stiffer scrub or more loose in texture. It's important to really pack the mixture with the sugar, otherwise it won't hold the texture long term.
- Pre weigh all ingredients ready to go – colour can be added to mixture when required. Don’t forget – only use GLASS or CERAMIC to pre-measure Fragrance (or Essential Oils).
- Place diced Melt & Pour Soap into a microwave safe bowl three times larger than you think you need! ie. 2 litres is a good size.
- Loosely cover the jug with some cardboard, and heat on medium for up to 2 minutes or until fully melted. Do not over heat, do keep an eye on it, and then remove from the microwave as soon as it's melted.
- Add the unmelted Foamy Bath Butter to the melted Melt & Pour Soap and squash into the melted base. Re-heat for 1 to 2 minutes ononly if needed until it's an even cocsistency.
- Now add the liquid glycerine to the melted soap bases.
- Place your hand held mixer (unless you have a special free standing mixer for your soaping which in this case would help as it’s a tough mixing job) into the mixture and mix briefly on low. However I use my regular Woolies El Cheapo twin whisk beater for this type of thing successfully.
- Turn up to high and very quickly you will see the mixture form a marshmallow type consistency. If you have the mixture too hot it will remain quite liquid, just leave it to sit for a while whilst it cools a little and then whip.
- Now add the fragrance and the colour and mix through.
- If you want a vibrant colour when finished adding the sugar, add a touch extra colour
- You can see the pink is quite bright!
- Now add a cup of sugar, and squish it into the soap.
- Turn mixer to medium or lo and add one at a time until you have added 4 – 6 cups. The beaters will be full of soapy sugar scrub.
- At this point change to manually stirring through the sgar.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl well, and if not making into scoops, spoon into the containers.
- Allow to cool fully before placing on the lids.
- If you are going make into “scoops”, ensure the mixture is completely cool, and cover overnight and allow it firm up for a day. Use an icecream scoop to carefully scoop one or two dollops and place into tub or bowl.
Recipe Quantity: The recipe above makes approximately 1kg. This is an approximate weight because depending on the amount of and type of sugar used this will vary. The number of tubs required is also dependant on the size of scoops you make and the type of ice cream scoop, and of course if you are just spooning the scrub into jars or tubs and not using the scoop shape.