This natural Body Wash formula is thickened with Xanthan Gum and Lamesoft and can be labelled "Organic". However, if you find it a bit tricky using Xanthan for thickening, you can substitute Shampoo Ultra Thick Liquid once your have scented your product.
I find this formula also suitable as a shampoo base, but I add 2% dl Panthenol. For our suggestions of suitable scents for Hair care and surfactant products check our list here
This formula is easily dispensed in Stubby Shampoo Bottles with or without a Pump or Contour Oval Bottles with a Pump.
Combine Phase B Glycerine and Xanthan Gum, and use a Coffee Frother (or mini hand whisk) to combine well. Ensure you remove all the lumps, and then add the Sodium Lactate Plus to this and set aside
Measure the Distilled Water in a large Pyrex or microwave safe jug
Remove approximately 30ml of Distilled water from allowance and warm to 40°C in a jug or beaker. Add Geoguard Ultra and mix with small mechanical mixer (if you have one) or tiny whisk to ensure it is well dissolved. Set aside.
Now Heat the rest of the Phase A ingredients in microwave to 70°C
Once removed from heat, add Phase B mixture containing the Xanthan Gum. Use a stick blender held well down under the surface to ensure a smooth mixture without creating bubbles. If you do create lather, a quick spritz with Isopropyl Alcohol will disperse this
Stir periodically until the mixture cools to approximately 40°C
Note: This graphic shows a coffee frother, which I use for my test batches, this probably won't be robust enough for a bigger batch
- Now add in Phase C ingredients and and mix with the stick blender for a few seconds to combine
- Now test the pH and adjust with citric acid until you achieve a pH of 4.5 - 5
- During cool down, give one or two zaps on the stick blender, and switch to a balloon whisk to ensure the mixture maintains a smooth, creamy consistency
- When the Body Wash reaches approximately 40° C, add the Geogard Ultra mixture in the beaker, and then the Essential Oils or Fragrance
- Whisk with the small manual balloon whisk periodically until cold, this keeps the pearliser well dispersed.
- Allow to sit 24 hours or so for the product to "settle" - though you can of course test it immediately!
- Adjust thickness if required
If you want to increase moisturising properties further, increase the Hydrolyzed Oats and add some dl Panthenol, and decrease the water content accordingly.
If you find the Xanthan hasn't thickened sufficiently to support your chosen Essential Oil or fragrance, you can add some Shampoo Ultra Thick Liquid and stir well to combine. Begin at 0.25% and increase from there until you reach the desired thickness.
To see our suggestions to scent surfactant and hair products, you can see them here. This is a starter formula, for more information, loads of formulas, we have written a Booklet on using surfactants and getting starting making your own natural shampoos, Bubble Bubble Toil and Confusion