How long will my cream or lotion last? Which is the BEST preservative? If I add “x” preservative, what is the use-by date please?
These are questions we receive streams of emails and calls about. We do try to explain and help, BUT this is not something we are able to give a definitive answer for you. Yes, we do sell preservatives, both synthetic and natural, but even those manufacturers of those products will not commit to a shelf life. There are so many variables involved. There is NO 'one size fits all' preservative system, but some will overlap depending on your product and your preferences of ingredients.
If you are a home crafter, small business just starting out or a larger enterprise, the shelf life of your creations is something of utmost importance. There is only one way to know the shelf life – it’s called “Challenge Testing”. What is this? This means you send your product to a professional laboratory for testing. The lab evaluates your products for safety and stability and advises the best before date for the product. If they find that your formulation is unsafe or unstable (goes off) you can often work with them to try and get through the issue.
Some products are more susceptible to spoilage – those with organic ingredients such as milks, proteins, clays etc, and of course any that contain water.
Cost? Yes, you are right, it’s expensive to determine the shelf life, and the cost will vary from lab to lab. We are unable to make recommendations for specific labs, and suggest you Google or use your Yellow Pages to find someone you will be comfortable working with (try “cosmetic stability testing laboratory”).
Mostly anhydrous products (those without water) only require an antioxidant (such as Rosemary Oleoresin Extract), however, do bear in mind how and where your product will be used. Scrubs for example, are often used in the shower or bath, and water is easily introduced into the product, therefore, stability testing (as well as a preservative system) is recommended.
Do I have to have my products tested? Well, ultimately this is of course your personal decision, just as the type of preservative system you choose to use, and you do need to make this decision yourself. If you ask us, we’ll always advise that testing is recommended – it’s good business practice, a little like insurance and overheads, something that has to be costed into the final cost of your products.
If you are not going to have your products challenge tested, the best advice we can offer after GMP is to use the “Best Before Date” on the preservative system you have purchased
Basically, when all is said and done, it's your choice, that's why we make our own products, but we just want you to produce safe cosmetics for you, your family and customers.
- Sale, Surplus & Clearance
- Samplers and Starter Packs
- Seasonal - Mothers Day
- Seasonal Items - Christmas
- What's New?
- Gift Vouchers
- Bases - Natural and Organic Soaps For Bath and Body
- Bath Bombs - Everything!
- Books & E Products
- Clays & Spa Minerals
- Colour Sets & Samplers
- Cold Processed Soap Colours
- Colours for Bath Salts, Bath Bombs and Bubble Bars
- Lip Safe Colours
- Melt & Pour Soap Colours
- Natural Colourants
- Glitters, Cosmetic
- Containers & Packaging
- Accessories & Miscellaneous
- Bags - Cello, Peel & Seal, Tea Bags, Muslin Bags, Ziplocks
- Bottles, Amber Glass also Droppers & Lids
- Boston Bottles, Jerry Cans, Stubby Shampoo Bottles and Lotion Bottles and Closures
- Clamshells for Soap, Bath Fizzies, Soy Wax, Massage and Bath Melts
- Cosmetic Jars, Tubs, Bail (Kilner) Jars, Wide Neck Body Butter Tubs, Double Wall Jars, Mushroom Jars and Pots
- Lip Pots and Tubes
- Mini & Sample Size Packaging
- Deo Tubes, Push Sticks, Wind Up Tubes, Malibu Tubes and Tottles
- Shrink Bags and Shrink Bands
- Soap Dishes, Soap Racks and Wooden Scoops
- Stand Up Pouches
- Ducks & Goldfish
- Essential Oils
- Exfoliants & Loofah
- Bramble Berry Fragrance Oils
- Conditioners & Thickeners
- Gels, Gums & Humectants
- Botanical Extracts and Proteins
- Floral Waters
- Lye, Alcohol, Agents
- Oils & Emollients
- Preservatives and Antioxidants
- Thickeners & Starches
- Salts, Bicarb, Citric & Milk Powders
- Soap Making Supplies - DIY Kits
- Lip Stuff
- 3D Moulds
- Soap Ropes
- Bramble Berry Silicone Moulds
- Budget & Clamshell Moulds
- Budget-Wise Flexible Silicone Moulds
- Embed Moulds
- HD Moulds - Sugar Scrub & Bath Bombs
- Heavy Duty Moulds
- Kids & Fun Moulds
- Milky Way Moulds - Bars
- Single Cavity Silicone Moulds
- Soy Melt, Tart & Mini Guest Soap Moulds
- Tray and Slab Moulds
- Unpatterned and Geometric Shaped Soap Moulds
- Wedding & Bomboniere Moulds
- Wooden Log Mould, Loaf Moulds, Cutters & Guide
- Soap Dishes & Scoops
- Soap Ropes
- Soap Stamps
- Tools & Measures
- Natural & Organic Skin Care
- Liquid Soap
- How to Make Your Own Natural Cold Processed Soap
- Handmade Cold Processed Soap Recipes
- Product Categories
- Recipe Formulary
- Learning Library
- About Us